Plants to Avoid While Hiking

Plants to Avoid While Hiking

When you are on the trail and suddenly see something that you can only describe as a fresh fruit hanging on the branch of an unknown tree, would you eat it?

You won’t.

But what about the leaves or branches? Do we ever stay away from unknown trees when we pass through a bush or a forest?

No.

Why? Because we think of threes and its leaves as harmless creations. In most cases it is true but there are few specific kinds of trees that you need to look out for, especially if you are hiking with your kids.

Here are the some of the most poisonous trees that you should avoid running into the trail.

Poison Ivy & Poison Oak

Leaved of three, leave ‘em be – you probably heard of this is your boy scout camps. This line refers to the Poison Ivy and Poison Oak plants.

As you have guessed by now, these plants have leaves stacked three at a time and they are extremely dangers to people who have allergic reactions to them.

Most of the people who in contact with Poison Ivy or Poison Oak suffers some kind of extreme allergic reaction which leads to itching, coughing, swelling and in extreme cases, breathing problem.

May to November is the time these plants grow like weed. But it is advised that you avoid any three-leaved plants around the year.

Manchineel

It is an evergreen tree that has a nickname “manzanilla de la muerte” which translates to “little apple of death”.

This plant can cause blisters inside your mouth and possibly kill you in the process. The milky sap from the plant cause severe allergic reactions and simply touching the tree can cause blisters in your skin.

From the feats of it, you can realize how dangerous this plant is. So next time you see the plain leaves and fruits like these, avoid them.

Poisonwood

Poisonwood trees are very tall and they carry Urushiol like Poison Ivy. However, they are much more dangerous than common Poison Ivy or Oak.

Similar to Poison Ivy, getting in touch with them will lead to a severe allergic reaction but this time, it will be much worse.

It is advised to avoid the tress at any position. Experts also forbid to walk under them in the rain because the Urushiol on the leaves can touch your sing after raindrops rinse the leave and fall on your skin.

Stinging Nettles

These plants with beautiful white flowers grow almost anywhere.

They have formic acid among several other chemicals and touching the plant can cause painful blisters. However, people don’t usually die just by its contact but the symptoms can be as long as 24 hours.

Hogweed

There are two general species of hogweeds. Common hogweeds and giant hogweeds. Thy look similar to carrot plants that have white flowers.

The furocoumarins in these plants cause severe skin inflammation phytophotodermatitis which leads to blisters upon being exposed to sunlight. That’s why it is important that victims who have been in contact with hogweeds don’t come into the sunlight for at least 48 hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *